Drepung Kongpo Khangtsen Monks
Drepung Kongpo Khangtsen is part of Drepung Loseling Monastery. Khangtsen is a “unit of houses” within a Tibetan monastery, which usually consists of a meeting hall and several residential buildings.
With the patronage of His Holiness the Dalai Lama, Drepung Loseling is dedicated to the study and preservation of the Tibetan Buddhist tradition of wisdom and compassion. A centre for the cultivation of both heart and intellect, it provides a sanctuary for the nurturance of inner peace and kindness, community understanding and global healing.
Drepung Monastery was founded in 1416 and was the principal seat of the Gelugpa school. Drepung was known for the high standards of its academic study, and was called the Nalanda of Tibet, a reference to the great Buddhist monastic university of India.