Kairomancy: The Art of Navigating by Synchronicity
Kairomancy: The Art of Navigating by Synchronicity
Real magic is the art of bringing gifts from another world into this world. We do this when we go dreaming and when we remember to bring something back. We can also walk the roads of everyday life as conscious or lucid dreamers, learning to recognize how the world is speaking to us in signs and symbols. In night dreams and conscious excursions, we get out there; we go near or far into other orders of reality where the rules of linear time and Newtonian physics do not apply.
Through synchronicity, powers of the deeper reality come poking and probing through the walls of our consensual hallucinations to bring us awake. Sometimes they work to confirm or encourage us in a certain line of action; sometimes they intercede to knock us back and discourage us from persisting in the worst of our errors.
Robert invented the word “kairomancy” to describe the practice of navigating by synchronicity. It builds on the idea that a key feature of the experience of meaningful coincidence is that we know this is a special moment when things operate differently. The Greeks have a word for a special moment of this kind. They call it a Kairos moment. Kairos is also a god, the antithesis of Chronos, the old god of tick-tock linear time. Kairos is jump time, opportunity time, the special moment you have to seize before it is lost.
Kairomancy literally means divination by special moments. But it means more. It means being poised to seize time by the forelock .A kairomancer is someone who is ready to recognize the special moments when synchronicity is at work – and to seize on the revelation or opportunity that is now available
Come ready to play wonderful fresh games of coincidence in which you will receive direct messages on your life issues from the oracle of the universe.
MASTER THE NINE RULES OF COINCIDENCE
We start by learning to honour the Gatekeeper, that archetypal entity that opens and closes our doors in life, and to dance with the Trickster, who is your demon when you are stuck in your plans and old habits, but your ally when you are willing to try something new and take a risk. Through stories and wonderful games and meditations, we’ll learn to recognize and apply some of the open secrets of synchronicity:
1. There are things that like to happen together
2. Thoughts are actions and produce results
3. Coincidence multiplies when you are in motion
4. You live in the Speaking Land
5. Every setback offers an opportunity
6. To find our way, we may need to get lost
7. Look for the hidden hand
8. You walk in many worlds
9. The passions of the soul work magic
You’ll rediscover that however difficult your circumstances, you always have the ability to choose your attitude and this can change everything, including the health of your mind and body and your experience of the world.
PLAY STREET CORNER TAROT
We need to be more literal about dreams and more symbolist about everyday life. Walk your environment with the right kind of awareness, and you’ll notice that the world is constantly giving you messages in the form of signs and symbols. You can play fun games any day by receiving these messages – the vanity plate on that car, that overheard snatch of conversation from a stranger, that chance encounter – as tarot cards being dealt to you by the world. A tarot deck has 78 cards; in Street Corner Tarot, the number is unlimited. In this class you’ll learn:
- How to put your question to the world and receive guidance on a life theme
- How to let the world put its questions to you, by scheduling unscheduled time to pay attention as you walk in “the forest of living symbols that are looking at you”
- How to listen for your daily kledon, a favorite oracle of the ancient Greeks that works well on any day
- How meaningful coincidence multiplies when you are in motion, traveling outside your familiar rounds or going through a major life transition
FOLLOW THE WAY OF THE KAIROMANCER
To follow the way of the kairomancer, you need to trust your feelings as you walk the roads of this world, develop your personal science of shivers, and recognize that you know far more than you hold on the surface of consciousness. You want to take dreams more literally and the events of waking life more symbolically. You need to take care of your poetic health, reading what rhymes in a day, or a season. You want to expect the unexpected, to make friends with surprises, and never miss that special moment. In this class we take a walk where the wild things are. You’ll be encouraged to:
- Learn from the practice of master kairomancers including Jung and Mark Twain
- Recognize the archetypal forces at play in your energy fields, and how symbols that live in your mind have magnetic effects.
- Track how your emotions generate events through what is called the Pauli Effect, named for the quantum pioneer who helped Jung develop his theory of synchronicity
- Grow your poetic health: notice recurring symbols and situations, what rhymes in a day or a life.
- Put a champagne fizz of magic into everyday life by finding the extraordinary in the ordinary.